Monday, 4 August 2008

Going Down Hill

Hi All,
Leaving Rabinal at the crack of 7.30 was a bit tough but hey, I am a Peregrino or someting akin to one at that time of the morning.

If I keep going on about how wonderful the scenery is then bear with me, it is just stunning, especially early in the morning when you have the world to yourself. Managed to get to the "Cruz de Ferro", the very top of the Camino, after a couple of hours walking.

One of the Cruz webpages is http://cvc.cervantes.es/actcult/camino_santiago/decima_etapa/irago/
It is in Spanish though but the pictures are nice. Seems I can´t get a Google result which is not in Spanish and I can´t muck about with the computer here.

The base of the Cruz is a huge pile of stones which supposedly people have brought from their home town and placed on the pile. It would not be so bad if people just left stones but the place is a bit of a coup with all sorts of personal items (socks, gutties, pictures, etc) nailed to the pole. Inevitably they fall off and get scattered around the place.

Well guess what, I forgot to bring a stone with me (again) so I thought that it would be a good idea to take one away with me and start a wee pile in Giffnock. Never know it might catch on. A "Cruz de Guiness" for all those that get stoned. Anyway enough mince from me.

Just after leaving the cross spot I met a Dutch couple who had started walking the Comino del Norte starting in St Jean in France and going to Santiago and were now walking the Camino Frances from Santiago to St. Jean. They had two dogs with them who started out as St. Bernards but after that journey look more like Scots Terriers.

Believe me, all the mega walkers are Dutch. I never knew Holland was such a horrible place that you would walk thousands of kilometres just to get away from it.

For those interested the following is a wee link to the Comino del Norte:
http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Grandes+Rutas/Rutas/Rutas/0/Camino+del+Norte?Language=en

This also has a link to the Camino Frances.

Back to the walk.

At the same time as meeting the Dutch couple I met an American girl (from Texas no less) who is starting an MSc in Fine Arts at Lieden University in Holland. Thought it might be a good idea to walk through Spain as a starter for ten. Is there a strong Dutch influence in Texas?

We walked in Molinaseca together jibbering about all sorts of things.

This part of the trail is very hilly (well it would be since we are at the top of a bloody big mountain) with lots of scrub and heather. Not particularly appealing other than you can see for miles and miles and m.... you can sing the rest yourselves. It was roasty toasty hot and that was a bit of a challange. The last section into Molinaseca is along a path which has a clear view of the road way down below and I´m that good with heights too. However managed to steel myself and got to the bar at the real Roman bridge. Needed a wee sip to settle the nerves.

As usual got into the Albergue, washed me, washed the clothes and slept. Woke up, ate and slept. Great company for one and all was I. Oh and the Italians arrived but were put into a different dormitory. Someone must have spread the word.

cheers,
ajl

2 comments:

Newtring of Mearns said...

Well "yirrafyirheid" certainly encapsulates the overall opinion of ALL your mates back in Glasgow. However, given the need for long strides to cover the ground and a long neck to admire the wonderful scenery, surely Giraffeyirrheid would be even more appropriate.
You seem to be setting a blistering - oops sorry - pace Auld Yin but do remember to wear yerr sannies on your feet this time!

To Santiago and beyond said...

Hi dude,
Wonderful comment as always. I get the feeling your taking the carp (which may end up on a piece when I get home). All going well. At a dump called Palas de Rei and within three (long) days of the shriven soul. And as too blisters, I think I have given myself one today by trying to avoid getting one. I really should not be allowed out on my own.
cheers to you and herself,
ajl