Saturday, 30 August 2008

It's All Over

Hi All,
Just a note to say thanks for staying with me during the journey.

Strange to be back in Santiago, a wee bit too familiar. Was going to walk to Finisterre but got a touch of the tummy bug again and decided that staying put was a better idea and as it turned out it was the better idea.

Met up with all the people I had met on the road and many of us had reached the end point of energy. Had a few good meals together and as always reviewed the highs and lows. Happy to say there were more highs and we found the space to laugh off the lows.

I took the time to have real look around this time and enjoyed seeing the bits, eg the market and park, which I had missed the first time round.

The place is just as packed as ever. A colleague at work, Fernando, had pointed out that all the jugglers, musicians and street theatre people had been plying their trade in Santiago since the pilgrimage started way back in the 900's. That put the circus in perspective for me and I was less disappointed with it. Still a bloody circus though.

Managed to get home in one piece and have been back at work for a couple of weeks. However that too is now over. I retire from UWS tomorrow (31/08/2008). Plenty of time now to plan the next walk which looks like being the Camino del Norte next year.

Buen Camino, compadres.

No comments: